1. Atopy/Allergies are the most common (30%) pet insurance claims for dogs in the U.S. This condition causes itching and can be a challenge to manage. Read our article on canine atopic dermatitis to get helpful tips from a veterinarian.
2. Otitis (ear infections) accounted for 17% of all dog pet insurance claims. Due to the pain, your pet may frequently scratch or shake their head, causing a blood blister to form inside their ear. Learn how to take care of your dog's ears in our expert article.
3. Osteoarthritis is the third most common pet insurance claim for dogs, making up 10% of all claims. Arthritis is caused by the breakdown of soft cartilage that covers the end of bones within joints, leading to painful wear and tear of the bones. In the long term, your pet will become less mobile, due to the chronic inflammation of their joints.
4. 8% of dog pet insurance claims were for an undiagnosed mass or tumor. It is important to get these tumors checked out, as half of all disease-related pet deaths are due to cancer. See our infographic for an explanation of the most common types of cancers in dogs and cats.
5. A cruciate ligament injury made up 7% of all dog pet insurance claims.