1. The most costly pet insurance claim reported to Pets Best Insurance was for a dog who had been hit by a car, sustained multiple fractures, and was kept on life support for two weeks. The claim was for more than $55,000.
2. Wobbler's Syndrome compresses the spinal cords of horses and dogs (most often Great Danes, Doberman Pinschers, Basset Hounds, and Borzoi). X-rays, steroids, MRIs, and surgery can run up pet insurance claims of up to $21, 581.
3. Meningioma, the most common type of cancerous brain tumor, can lead to insurance claims of up to $15,533. See our infographic for information on other common types of cancer and learn how to recognize the symptoms of cancer.
4. A slipped disc in the spinal cord can lead to intervertebral disc disease that can paralyze your pet. Insurance claims for this condition can amount to $14,400, due to the high costs of MRIs, CT scans, and surgery.
5. Inflammation of the inner lining of the heart chambers and valves, known as endocarditis, can lead to a pet insurance claim of more than $11,000.