A vacation is the perfect time to relax and “get away from it all”. But going on vacation doesn’t necessarily have to mean getting away from your dog. More and more, pet parents are starting to bring their four-legged companions with them when they travel. Traveling with your dog can be a great opportunity to strengthen your bond with him, but not all pups travel well.
Best Dogs with which to Travel
Some dogs love to take rides in the car and adapt well to staying away from home. Other breeds are nervous about travel, especially when they are forced to spend time in unfamiliar areas. If you are the type of person who travels often, for either work or pleasure, consider one of these seven breeds to tag along on your adventures:
1. Pomeranian – The Pomeranian is a toy breed that only grows between four and seven pounds at full size – this makes him the perfect travel companion. Not only are Pomeranians small enough to fit in your carry-on bag, but they are also friendly and extroverted by nature; they are ready to take on any new situation that faces them.
2. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel – This breed is one of the most loyal and easy-going dog breeds out there. Cavalier King Charles Spaniels love to follow their pet parents around and are also great at making new friends. This breed is fairly small, as well, which makes them good for travel.
3. Poodle – The Poodle comes in three different sizes and some are better suited for travel than others – depending on the mode of transportation you choose. Toy and Miniature Poodles can travel in your purse or carry-on, though Standard Poodles may fare better on road trips than plane trips. Overall, the Poodle is an adaptable breed that loves spending time with family, even on vacation.
4. Miniature Schnauzer – A smaller version of the Giant Schnauzer, the Miniature Schnauzer is a friendly and fun-loving breed. These dogs are perfectly sized for travel and are confident and extroverted as well. This breed never wants to be apart from their family and can always be counted on for a good laugh, even when travel becomes stressful.
5. Maltese – The Maltese is a small dog that is known for his fluffy white coat and loving personality. These dogs will do anything if it means spending time with their pet parents. The Maltese can always be counted on if you need a companion who will stick by your side through thick and thin.
6. Beagle – The Beagle is one of the most adaptable breeds out there, which makes them ideal for travel. These little dogs love everyone and everything, so they will enjoy going on a trip with you. One thing to be mindful of is that you need to keep your Beagle on a leash because he can become overexcited if he catches a scent.
7. Shih Tzu – This breed is very small so you can keep him in your purse or a carry-on crate when travelling. In addition to being small, the Shih Tzu breed is also fearless – they will gladly take on the challenge of exploring a new place. These dogs are calm and laid-back by nature, so you don’t have to worry about added stress from traveling with this breed.
No matter what kind of dog you have, traveling together can be a great opportunity for the two of you to become closer. Just be sure to do your homework before you hit the road to ensure that you have arranged for dog-friendly accommodations.
Photos by ©iStock.com/MoniqueRodrigues, ©iStock.com/TetyanaRusanova, ©iStock.com/JMichl, ©iStock.com/jwebb, ©iStock.com/ItchySan, ©iStock.com/freemixer, ©iStock.com/Solovyova, ©iStock.com/yellowsarah