Bengal crossbreed Bobby is lucky to be alive after using up at least one of his nine lives this past week. Searching for somewhere cozy to nap, Bobby thought he'd found the perfect spot in his pet parent's washing machine – it was even lined with comfortable blankets ready for his tired paws. However, what Bobby didn't realize was that his pet parent, Lisa Keefe from Nottingham, England, had loaded the washing machine ready to begin a load. As he slept on, she set her laundry to start.
Lisa explained the details of the incident to the Irish Times: "Bobby has been known to climb into the washing machine, so I always try to keep the door shut and keep him away when adding a new load, and check inside before turning it on. On this occasion I had actually taken him outside, but he must have snuck back inside when my back was turned and hidden under the duvet."
Bobby was still in the washing machine as it began a 140°F cycle, but a loud thudding noise gave away his position – luckily.
Lisa continued: "As soon as I heard the noise, I asked my husband Kevin where Bobby was. I rushed to the machine and could see the color of his fur mixed in with the quilt. I was petrified and raced to get him out."
Nine-month-old Bobby was immediately taken to the Nottingham Pet Hospital. Vet Tamsin Thomas said that the cat was "very lucky" to be alive: "Bobby was on the verge of collapse as his body was soaked through and his temperature was dangerously low. We gently dried him out, kept him warm and gave him IV fluids to treat shock. We monitored him overnight, and within hours he had stabilized and was able to go home the next day."
Bobby has been nominated for a PDSA Pet Survivor Award following the incident.
We're so glad that Bobby is recovering following his ordeal. If you have a kitty that loves to cuddle up in your laundry, please remember to check the drum before switching on your washing machine.