Roxie the Boxer is somewhat of a trash can raider in her household, and is known for eating odd things, including a packet of cigarettes and a water snake. Her dumpster diving has made her a regular visitor to the animal hospital ER, however, her latest "meal" could have killed her if it hadn't been for the intervention of a pet charity.
Towards the end of September, Roxie decided to poke her nose into the trash, as she'd done so many times before. Her "treasure" this time was seven corn on the cobs from a previous night's dinner, and she ate them quickly before they could be taken away from her. Some hours later, the poor Boxer began to vomit, her body expelling six of the cobs over the course of two days. However, pet parent Dakota Hudson noticed that her pet had become sluggish and was refusing to eat – extremely abnormal behavior for Roxie.
After an x-ray at the local animal hospital, Dakota was told that her beloved pup had a corn on the cob stuck in her abdomen and that surgery would be required to remove it. The surgery would cost $5,000.
"I started bawling. It got to the point where I was considering euthanizing her because I didn't want her to be in pain and suffering," Dakota told Pilot Online. The distraught pet parent was within moments of signing an authorization to euthanize Roxie, when veterinarian Beth Tynan told her that the surgery had already been paid for by Frankie's Friends, a national pet charity which raises funds for pets when medical attention is required but can't be afforded. Concerned for the family, Tynan had contacted the charity to see if they could help, and fortunately, they could.
"The surgeon fell in love with her and said, 'We can't let a dog like her go. We have to do something.' That meant the world to me," Dakota explained.
Thanks to the charity's intervention, the corn on the cob was removed, and Roxie's life was saved. We can only hope that the Boxer has learned her lesson this time, and that she keeps her nose firmly out of the trash can from now on.
What’s the weirdest thing your pet has eaten? Let us know in the comments section!
Photo courtesy of BluePearl Veterinary Partners