Chocolate is one of lifes little luxuries for humans, but for your beloved pet? Not so much.
As a pet parent, you must keep your dog or cat safe from harm, which includes providing her with a safe place to live. This means protecting your pet against common household poisons to which she might get exposed. Dogs and cats do not know what items are dangerous or toxic, so it is up to you to ensure that they do not have access to those items.
Protecting Your Pet from Hazardous Items
Poisons come in a variety of forms, not just as chemicals. There are a number of foods that can be toxic for animals as well as other household items like medications, cleaning products, and more. Pet-proof your household by following these simple steps:
- Make sure all food is kept in sealed containers and stored in a cupboard or pantry.
- Keep trash cans covered with a lid and stored where your pet can’t get into them.
- Bundle electrical cords and wires so that your pet can’t chew on them.
- Store all cleaning products and other household chemicals in a cupboard or cabinet.
- Keep small items that your pet could choke on off the floor.
- Tie up blinds and other hanging cords that could strangle your pet.
- Avoid keeping toxic plants in your home or on your property.
- Do not feed your pet any food besides his pet food unless you are completely sure it is safe.
Top Household Poisons to Avoid
You may not realize it, but your house is full of items that have the potential to seriously harm your pet. Below you will find a list of common household poisons divided into categories:
- Avocado (stones)
- Grapes and raisins
- Onions and garlic
- Yeast dough
- Artificial sweeteners
- Alcoholic beverages
- Coffee and tea
- Macadamia nuts
- Fruit pits
Drugs and Chemicals
- Over-the-counter medications
- Prescription medications
- Cleaning products
- Laundry detergent
- Fabric softener
- Dryer sheets
- Lawn fertilizers
- Rock salt
- Toxic plants
- Rat poison
- Engine oil
These are just a few of the many items that can be harmful to your dog or cat. The best policy to follow is to consider everything dangerous unless you know for a fact that it is not.
What to Do if Your Pet Ingests Something
Even if you are very careful about keeping hazardous items out of your pet’s reach, they have a knack for getting into things they shouldn’t. If your pet ingests something that is toxic or poisonous, your first move should be to determine what he ingested and how much. Next, call your veterinarian or pet emergency service.
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center hotline at (888) 426-4435 or the Pet Poison Helpline at (800) 213-6680 can also be contacted.
Only induce vomiting if advised to do so by your veterinarian.
Taking care of a pet can be a challenge at times, especially when it comes to keeping them safe from household poisons. The key to making sure your pet doesn’t get into anything toxic is to take note of which items are hazardous and to keep them well out of your pet’s reach.
Content reviewed by a veterinarian