Help! My dog had a dead toad in his mouth - is it poisonous? Do I need to take him to the vet? What signs should I watch for?
Toads have two glands behind their eyes that secrete a thick milky fluid. If your dog bites the toad, the fluid will irritate his mouth. You’ll notice him salivate and his gums may be redder than normal. In some species of toad, the fluid is very toxic and will cause a wobbly gait, dilated pupils, collapse and possibly seizures. It can be fatal. The first thing to do after he has mouthed a toad is to get the hose and wash out his mouth thoroughly. Keep his muzzle pointing downwards so the water drains out easily, and direct it into his mouth from the side rather than from the front to reduce the risk of it going down his airway. Do this for at least 5 minutes, and call your vet for advice. If you’re in any doubt about your dog’s wellbeing, take him to your vet for a check-up; it’s much better to be safe than sorry | 11.11.15 @ 11:48