According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), more than 167,000 phone calls were made in 2014 about pets exposed to potentially poisonous substances.
Almost 16% of the calls were by pet parents worried about pets that may have ingested human medicines. This puts human medicines at the top of the list for the seventh year in a row. Isn’t it about time we stored our medicines out of reach?Below are the most common pet toxins of 2014 (in order of call volume) from the report
- Prescription medications for humans
- Over-the-counter medications
- Household items (especially paint and cleaning products)
- Human foods (onions, garlic, grapes, raisins and xylitol topped the list)
- Medications for pets (medications are often formulated to taste good)
- Chocolate ingestion (on average, more than 30 calls per day were received)
- Plants (Most of these concerned cats ingesting houseplants)
- Lawn and garden products
Some clear actions can be taken based on the most common pet toxins. If you are a good pet parent, take a moment to make sure the items above are stored properly so your pets cannot access them.
If you have any reason to believe your pet has ingested a toxin, please contact your veterinarian or call the poison hotline at their toll-free number (888) 426-4435.