Going on vacation is a great way to relax and decompress, especially if you have a high-stress job or a busy lifestyle. For many people, however, a vacation just would not be the same without the family pet. While many hotels do not allow pets, there are still a wide variety of hotel chains that have pet-friendly policies. If you are planning a vacation and want to bring your pet with you, consider making a reservation with one of these top five pet-friendly hotel chains.
Top Recommended Pet-Friendly Hotel Chains
1. La Quinta – This big-name hotel chain offers over 830 different locations across the United States and only four of those locations do not allow pets. The La Quinta hotel chain allows guests to bring up to two dogs or cats per room at no additional charge.
2. Kimpton Hotels – This hotel chain may not be one of the most well-known names in the industry, but it provides a level of pet-friendly service that no other hotel can offer. Not only does this hotel chain accept traditional pets like dogs and cats, but they also cater to more exotic animals - from birds to amphibians. The Kimpton hotel chain offers a variety of pet-friendly amenities including pet beds and a list of nearby pet-friendly parks and restaurants. Best of all, there is no charge to bring a pet with you.
3. Best Western – The Best Western hotel chain may be known primarily for its affordability, but it is a big name in pet-friendly service as well. With more than 1,600 pet-friendly locations, Best Western allows pet owners to keep their travel costs down. Guests are allowed two dogs of up to 80 pounds each per room and some locations also accept cats, birds, snakes, and other pets. Unlike other pet-friendly hotels, this chain does charge a pet fee, but it is only about $20 per day with a maximum charge of $100 per week.
4. Loews Hotel and Resort – This hotel chain has locations in 18 different cities across the United States and Canada which accept a variety of different pets. Loews Hotels do charge a fee for pets, about $25 per day in most cases, and they offer a variety of pet-specific amenities such as food and water bowls, treats, and litter boxes. This hotel chain even includes homemade pet food on their room service menu.
5. Fairmont Hotel and Resort – Not only does the Fairmont hotel chain accept dogs, but they have a Canine Ambassador program. This hotel chain allows pet owners to bring their furry friends, though policies vary from one location to another. In some hotels, pets stay free and they may even receive homemade treats. At other locations pet owners may be charged a $25 fee for pets under 25 pounds with an additional charge for larger pets.
Tips for Traveling with Your Pet
No matter which of these pet-friendly hotels you choose, it is important that you make your reservation early and check the pet policy before you check in. If you are traveling with a dog, you may want to consider asking for a ground-floor room to make the task of taking your dog out for a midnight pee a little easier. Do not forget to bring your dog’s bed with you as well as one of his favorite toys, especially if he gets a little nervous about being away from home.
Going on vacation to “get away from it all” does not have to mean being away from your pet. The five pet-friendly hotels listed above offer great options for a comfortable stay for both you and your furry friend.